Greek English
Home Page / History
Print this page
History

Agridia is a small picturesque village of the Region of Pitsilia, in the Lemesos District. It is built at a special location, on a slope dressed with nature’s most beautiful colours. Actually, the village is the ninth highest in Cyprus, built on an altitude of 1100 m above sea level.

It is a beautiful village with spiral narrow alleys and old traditional houses with vine pergolas and multicoloured flower pots in their yards. Particularly impressive as Karouzis distinctively writes, is the village’s rich natural vegetation, as well as the “exuberant usage of local bedrock, especially of diabase and gabbro”. However, one of the most beautiful images a visitor of Agridia will come across is that of the donkeys “helping” farmers during their agricultural works.    

Historicaldata – Naming

The naming of the village, according to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, has the meaning of “property”. Additionally, the naming is linked to a historical event. In particular, the village was conceded as property to Jules, a Frank churchman.  

Mas Latri and Florios Voustronios mention, as Karouzis preserves, that Agridia was owned by Jean De Verdi in the end of the 13th century, whereas in the 15th century, the village was originally owned by Sor De Naves and later on by Morfo De Gregnier.

What is interesting is the fact that tradition links the naming of the village with the abundance of wild goats (mouflons- gidia in Greek) that inhabited the area.

Population

Agridia, as it appears on the table, has followed an increasing populating course during 1881 until 1982. Unfortunately, nowadays, the population of the village has decreased significantly. More specifically, the census of 2001 showed the lowest population number of all previous censuses. Today, according to Community Council data, the village has 125 residents. The following table presents the course of the population starting from 1881 until today.    

Year Number of Residents
1881 116
1911 226
1946 443
1973 557
1982 292
2001 121
today 125

Churches

Our village has two churches dedicated to Prophet Elias. A small chapel built on a green high hill and a large church built in the heart of Agridia. More: Churches

Natural Environment 

In Agridia, cultivated pieces of land interchange harmonically with pieces of land rich in natural wild vegetation. Along almost the entire village there are cultivated contour strips with fruit baring trees and vegetables. Moreover, the slopes of Agridia are covered by vineyards and almonds which add the most joyous “brushworks” of the scenery when blooming.  

Sources:
Giorgos Karouzis, Strolling around Cyprus, Lemesos, City and District, Lefkosia 2001
Agridia Community Council 
Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia  vol.1  

Πολυμέσα
VIDEO
PHOTO ALBUM
3D TOUR
Enterprises

Contact Us

COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF AGRIDIA
4872 Agridia
LImassol
Tel: 25521336
Fax: 25521336
E-mail: k.s.agridia@
cytanet.com.cy

 December 2018 
MTWTFSS
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31 

Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc